Monday, February 25, 2008

Social Campaigns


VERB Campaign

I found this poster for a campaign called VERB, aimed at getting kids involved in more activities. I think some other concept might be better for this campaign. An opposing image, like kids watching TV and eating snacks (AKA, being lazy), would help make the message more effective. Or it could go a more positive route and show kids playing soccer and having fun. But vans with lots of bumper stickers? They kind of annoy me, making me think the driver is one of those overachieving parents who makes their kids do everything under the sun. That isn't really what the campaigners want people to do here, is it? I mean, they probably want people to start small, with just one or two activities, instead of acting like they should dive into every possible after school activity imaginable...right?


RAINN Social Norms Campaign



These posters for the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN) Social Norms campaign focuses on the role college men play in preventing sexual assaults. The posters use statistics to show that the majority of college-aged males respect women's wishes and would help a woman in danger of being assaulted, creating a "norm" that men should want to fit into. I think it's an innovative angle that veers from the normal "Respect women!" kind of imperative statements that just tell guys what to do. It creates a majority group that men should want to fall into in order to be like everyone else, something that college students are always trying to achieve.


ADPSR Boycott Prison Design Campaign

Winner:


Runner-up:

Runner-up:


These posters are submissions to a poster design contest for the architects/designers/planners for social responsibility (ADPSR). The topic was boycotting the design of and increased spending on prisons in favor of allocating those funds to building and renovating schools. I actually like the two runner-up designs better, as they are more striking with more thought put into type, contrast, color, and text placement. The winner incorporates lots of statistics, but they are hard to read within the image, and the big block of text on the left is kind of clunky and people might not feel like reading through it.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

These are good. I am working on my social campaign but I was looking for ad campaigns to inspire me instead of social campaigns. I found a few after viewing yours. Thanks for the inspiration.

Lidia said...

I think the posters would definitely communicate better if we could see them in live size. Because size does matter...really. I just started wokring on my poster and already realized how it will look so much different tiled as oppose on the screen. I think the winner has more layered aspect, it is informative but it is communicated through layered design, embedded in the concept.