Monday, February 4, 2008

Inspired by My Heritage

Church of Spilled Blood

The Fountains at St. Petersburg Palace

The Red Square in Moscow


For my father, art was everywhere. He sketched the things he saw, and he took in the beauty of the world wherever he could find it. I loved that a man of science--a computer engineer who helped send shuttles into space--had such a deep appreciation for museums and architecture.

As a young man in college, he could have focused solely on his studies, as he was expected to do. Instead, he chose to live in St. Petersburg, a beautiful city showcasing some of Europe's most amazing artistry and buildings. Much like a student who lives in Small Town U.S.A. dreams of moving to the Big Apple, my dad wanted to breathe in the big city life and the rich culture in St. Petersburg.

I am deeply inspired by my roots and by my father's life. After he passed away in 2005, I searched for new ways to connect with him. How do you feel close to someone who's gone? I thought of him in his purest form, before the cancer, before he had a family to provide for. His college days in St. Petersburg, those were the times I wanted to feel closer to. So my mom and I journeyed to Russia and went to the same masterfully designed churches, to the enormous Hermitage, to the golden fountains at St. Petersburg Palace, to the Red Square and Lenin's Tomb in Moscow, to the ballet, to the little cafés and shops, and to the circus.

The details that went into every massive building and palace were astonishing. Even the smallest city gardens were landscaped to look luxurious, like the backyard of a Queen. I could see the cities through my father's eyes, and picture how he became the man I knew him to be by exploring these places.

5 comments:

Mike said...

That's pretty cool - the way that a place can connect you to someone who has passed on. Have you found any Russian influences creeping into your work?

Mandy M said...

Yeah, I think so, Mike, in subtle ways. I think I always have this undercurrent of it running through me. Once I start becoming more involved in design and really creative work, I am sure it will creep in a lot more.

I love some Russian poetry, like this one by Anna Akhmatova:

A simple way of life I've learned and wise:

I watch the sky, and pray to God, and daily,

To tire distress, with promptitude unfailing

Take long, long walks before the evening dies.

When burdocks stir and sigh in the ravine

And rowans droop and bow their branches meekly,

I make up cheerful verses and serene

Of life, sweet life that passes all too quickly.

Dustin said...

Amanda, I totally understand your perspective because my family heritage inspires me as well. In addition, I can see how traveling to that specific country could jump start the creative juices.

macluva said...

Amanda,
The story and picture that you shared with the class definitely captured my attention. I may have to profile you for another project.

Lydia said...

I love the architecture of the Church of Spilled Blood. There is so much decorative detail. It must have been amazing experiencing the rich culture in person. I think this type of architecture is also one of the most colorful in the world, because I have been to several countries in Europe and most of their architecture (especially churches) are similar. Their interiors are more colorful than the exteriors. I would love to see Russia and India in my lifetime. I think the temples in Southern India are so detailed and beautiful as well.